Membership in PASS is about more than joining a union—it is about having a voice, gaining a system of support and solidarity, and making an important investment in your future. What else do you get by joining PASS? Why should you join now? Take a look at the following and the make the decision to join PASS today!
Have a Voice
- PASS has exclusive bargaining authority to negotiate working conditions for bargaining unit employees. As a PASS member, you can have a voice in this process that will be heard.
- PASS negotiates the contracts for represented bargaining unit employees and only PASS members are able to vote to ratify any contract negotiated by the PASS contract negotiations team. In addition, as a member, you can provide input during contract negotiations to PASS members on the team—or even serve on the team yourself! The greater the PASS membership, the more influence PASS has at the negotiating table.
- With respect to pay, any pay system must be negotiated with PASS and only PASS members have the right to provide input into PASS’s bargaining proposals. PASS does not endorse the agency’s core compensation system, which uses a quota-based, subjective methodology to determine annual pay increases.
- Without PASS, the agency would be free to impose any pay plan, your annual and sick leave benefits and work schedules would be dictated by management, and management could change wages, benefits or working conditions at their discretion. And you would have no say! As a member of PASS, your voice is heard!
Have a Representative on Your Side
- PASS will be there to support you on the job. If you ever need to file a grievance, the PASS legal team will be on hand to provide assistance and support.
- PASS also represents you during investigations or disciplinary matters. If you are unfairly disciplined, the union represents you and assures the process is administered properly. PASS lawyers and labor-relations specialists will represent you free of charge during arbitration hearings.
Access to Training and Experience
- PASS provides organizing, legislative, representative and safety training to members. In addition, the biennial PASS Chapter Summit is an opportunity for PASS chapter leaders to participate in extensive training on chapter growth and sustainability.
- Furthermore, as a PASS member, you can serve as a PASS liaison on a variety of agency projects. Over the past several months, the agency has made numerous requests to PASS for support from Technical Operations employees to serve on workgroups ranging from the Next Generation Air Transportation System (NextGen) to studies on fatigue. Only PASS members can serve in these roles and others.
A Link to Congress and the Public
- Federal employees are restricted in their ability to lobby Congress on certain issues. However, as a PASS member, you are given additional protection and support to lobby Congress on behalf of the union. This is especially important in today’s legislative environment where there are several pieces of anti-federal employee legislation with language negatively impacting pay, benefits and staffing. PASS serves as a voice for members on Capitol Hill and in legislative offices throughout the nation.
- The PASS Legislative Department is the primary liaison between Congress and PASS members. PASS testifies before Congress and lobbies frequently on Capitol Hill on issues that concern our members. For instance, PASS’s lobbying efforts successfully ensured that the recently passed FAA reauthorization legislation included language that restores fairness to the contract negotiations process between the FAA and its unions; addresses staffing issues among its aviation safety inspector and systems specialist workforces; enhances FAA oversight of the airline industry and critical aviation safety equipment; and continues investment in vital infrastructure needed to ensure the safety of the flying public.
- As a PASS member, you also have the ability to educate the public about PASS and what you do as an FAA employee. PASS members can help staff the PASS booth at tradeshows and other events across the country. Plus, as a PASS member, you can be educated on how to talk to the media as a subject matter expert on important aviation issues—another great way to get the PASS voice heard.
- PASS’s officers are responsible for attending to the affairs of the union on a national level; state chapters are responsible for carrying out the internal policies of PASS, with PASS chapter executive boards exercising general supervision and control over chapter activities; and PASS representatives are responsible for administering any collective bargaining agreements with the agency. Members in good standing elect the union’s leadership, including national and regional officers, convention delegates, elected committee members, and all representatives.
- To run for any Executive Board position, convention delegate or elected committee member, you must be a member in good standing for one year prior to the deadline for nominations. However, there is no waiting period to run for a representative position—you only need to be a member in good standing working within the group of represented employees.
Be a Part of a Greater Network
- PASS is affiliated with the AFL-CIO and, as a member of PASS, you will become part of a nationwide network of brothers and sisters. PASS encourages all chapters to affiliate with state or local branches of the AFL-CIO. The AFL-CIO is there for PASS members on a national and local level to provide assistance, resources and advice.
Access to Member-Only Benefits
- In addition to having the support of a strong union that allows you to have a voice in the workplace and on Capitol Hill, PASS works with Union Plus to provide you and your family access to valuable products and services. Joining PASS allows you to take advantage of the following benefits and many more:
- Scholarship programs to assist with the cost of college tuition in addition to a loan programs.
- Money and credit services, including Union Plus credit card, credit counseling, retirement planning and union-made checks.
- Health care savings, as well as life insurance and health club discounts.
- Auto-buying guidance and discounts, in addition to car rental discounts from Avis, Budget and Hertz and Goodyear service discounts.
- Valuable savings on goods and services for your home, including a mortgage program, home heating oil discounts in certain locations, reduced rates on moving services through Allied Van Lines and North American Lines, and pet services.
- Travel discounts, including savings on worldwide vacations and discounts at union hotels.
When you join PASS, you join a union of aviation brothers and sisters who understand the needs of the workforce and embody the same level of dedication and commitment to protecting this country’s aviation system. Become a part of a strong and solid union focused on issues that impact you now and in the future.
If you have questions or need additional information on joining PASS please complete the form below.