Election Process FAQs

What is the Federal Labor Relations Authority?

The Federal Labor Relations Authority (FLRA) is a quasi-judicial body created by the Civil Service Reform Act of 1978, commonly known as the Federal Service Labor-Management Relations Statute. The statute allows non-postal federal employees to organize, collectively bargain, and participate in labor organizations through the employees own free choice.

Per the Authority website, “The Authority adjudicates: unfair labor practice disputes in which an Administrative Law Judge has issued a decision to which exceptions have been filed; applications of decisions and orders issued in representation matters; exceptions to grievance-arbitration awards; and negotiability disputes arising during collective bargaining.”

Why do we need to sign a petition to have an election?

There are a number of steps that we have to go through before we can request an election be held by the FLRA. Before an election can be held, PASS must show that there is a sufficient showing of interest by the employees wishing to be represented by PASS. We do this by having you and your colleagues sign onto a petition requesting an election. Legally, we need 30% of a proposed bargaining unit to sign a petition. Since the goal is to win the election and not just have one, PASS likes to get 55% - 60% signatures before filing for an election.

How can I sign the petition?

Some of your colleagues are collecting signatures on the petition. If you have not been asked and would like to sign, call or e-mail James Renaldi at or 724-833-1126 to be provided a copy of the petition. 

What happens after a petition is filed with the FLRA?

The FLRA will validate the signatures on the petition. Then, the FLRA will determine which employees are included in the “bargaining unit,” meaning employees that are eligible for union representation. The Authority will also set an election date for a secret-ballot election to be held.

How is the election determined?

It takes a simple majority, 50% + 1, of the proposed bargaining unit to vote for PASS for PASS to win.

What is the difference between being represented by PASS and being a member of PASS?

Once PASS wins the election, every employee in the bargaining unit is represented by PASS. To be a member of PASS, you must fill out an 1187 form to become a member of the union. Union members can vote on national and local leadership, set bargaining priorities, approve or reject contracts, and perform a number of other vital functions that make sure we are a strong, successful union.



Members News